Agency Department of Health Work Unit Office of Disability
Job Title Disability Coordinator Designation Professional 2
Job Type Duration
Full Time Fixed to 30/06/2018
$78,097 – $93,655 Katherine
Position Number 14724 RTF 120095 Closing 10/07/2017
Information for Applications must be limited to a one-page summary sheet and an attached detailed
Applicants resume/cv. For further information for applicants and example applications: click here
If you accept this position, a detailed summary of your merit (including work history, experience,
qualifications, skills, information from referees, etc.) will be provided to other applicants, to ensure
transparency and better understanding of the reasons for the decision. For further information: click
The NTPS values diversity and aims for a workforce which is representative of the community we
serve. Therefore under an approved Special Measures recruitment plan, ATSI applicants will be given
priority consideration and preference in selection for this vacancy if they meet all essential selection
criteria and are suitable at the position level. For further information: click here
Apply Online Link
Primary Objective: Assist people with disabilities, their families, advocates and the community to facilitate access to support
services and promote community inclusion for people with disabilities.
Context Statement: Knowledge of services available to people with disabilities and provision of culturally responsive and
consultative service in the Katherine region. Frequent travel is required which may be up to one week in duration.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Establish strong relationships with people with disabilities, their families, carers or guardians and facilitate the
development of individualised plans that utilise a range of innovative responses to meet their support needs.
2. Provide accurate and timely information to individuals, families and communities over a variety of mediums.
3. Build capacity within communities to include people with disabilities within the community.
4. Using a family centred approach, facilitate person centred planning and education for people with disabilities.
5. Conduct comprehensive needs and risk assessments; provide case management and case coordination of services;
support access to individualised funding; and implement developmental programs to facilitate skill development for
people with disabilities.
6. Maintain and use various forms of client information systems eg: Community Care Information System (CCIS).
7. Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being
undertaken in order to ensure high quality, safe services and workplaces.
1. Professional qualification and registration (where applicable) in a related health or psychosocial field.
2. Demonstrated assessment, analytical and creative skills to identify individual needs of people with disabilities, their
families, carers or guardians and to plan and implement innovative responses.
3. Demonstrated positive and contemporary values regarding people with disabilities and their families, carers or guardians
and sensitivity to the issues that impact on them.
4. Demonstrated ability to work within legislative and policy frameworks in delivering services to people with disabilities.
5. Well-developed understanding of the impact of cross-cultural issues, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island
descent, on disability services and an ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
6. Demonstrated well developed oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaborate in teams, and to follow approaches which value and
facilitate client and community participation.
8. A Northern Territory manual (C Class) Driver’s license or ability to obtain and ability to travel by car, 4WD vehicle and/or
light aircraft, to visit and work in rural & remote areas.
Further Information: Department of Health has a Smoke Free Policy. Staff are not permitted to smoke anywhere on
Departmental premises, facilities or vehicle nor whilst working off-site. The preferred or recommended applicant will be required
to hold a current working with children clearance notice and undergo a criminal history check. A criminal history will not exclude
an applicant from this position unless it is relevant to the position.
Approved: June 2017 Sarah Lowe, A/Manager Top End Remote